Bering Sea Chum Salmon Bycatch
Bering Sea Chum Salmon Bycatch Management Analysis
National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), in consultation with the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (Council), intends to prepare an analysis of measures to minimize chum salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea pollock fishery, in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969. The analysis will support decision-making for management measures to minimize chum salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea pollock fishery by analyzing the impacts of the alternatives on the human environment. We are considering new measures to minimize chum salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea pollock fishery because of the potential negative impacts on salmon stocks in general, and on western Alaska salmon stocks in particular.
Four species of salmon (sockeye, coho, pink, and chum) are aggregated into the “non-chinook salmon” species category. Chum salmon, however, comprises over 99.6% of the total bycatch of this chum salmon category.
We are requesting written comments from the public to determine the issues of concern and the alternatives that should be considered for analysis.
BSAI Salmon Catch Reports
- 2012 Prohibited Species Catch Reports: (to be posted soon) annual, seasonal
- BSAI Non-Chinook Salmon Mortality Estimates, 1991 - present
- BSAI Chinook Salmon Mortality Estimates, 1991 - present
- Report to the North Pacific Fishery Management Council on the Bering Sea Pollock Intercooperative Salmon Avoidance Agreement, Karl Haflinger, Sea State Inc. - Intercoop Monitor, John Gruver, AFA Catcher Vessel Intercooperative Manager, February 2008
Forms and Applications
- Scoping Report, May 2009
- 74 FR 798, January 8, 2009. Notice of intent to prepare either an Environmental Assessment or an Environmental Impact Statement on measures to minimize non–Chinook salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea. Comment period through March 23, 2009.
- Chum Salmon Bycatch Discussion Paper, December 2008
- Salmon Fishery Mangement
- EA/RIR/FRFA for Modifying existing Chinook and chum salmon savings areas: Final Rule Implementing Amendment 84 to the Fishery Management Plan for Groundfish of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Management Area, October 2007